Transforming a digital automotive build and price tool into an immersive, unique and inspiring experience to drive leads and sales.
The first to market, 3-D vehicle build and price tool, compatible across all browsers and devices. “The Virtual Showroom” contains three distinct features: Playing, Building and Locating the vehicle near you. It is built in Web GL with capability to export into CG assets for AR & VR.
1. DISCOVERY RESEARCH: UNDERSTAND USER NEEDS AND GOALS
- Garnered Data Analytics on the existing legacy Build + Price Tool for Completes, Starts, Avg time spent and exit metrics. This helped us to understand current pain points, forecast UX ROI and benchmark improvements.
- Survey with primary persona segment criteria to understand core differentiators of purchasing needs and goals.
- Usability Study on the existing legacy Build + Price Tool, 6 users, remote unmoderated.
- Usability Study on top 3 competitor Build + Price Tools, 6 users each, remote unmoderated.
- Competitive Content Audit + Gap Analysis.
- User Interviews, 6 users, moderated. Discussed challenges, needs and pain points of shopping for a vehicle online including building and pricing.
2. IA + PROTOTYPING: SYNTHESIZE THE DISCOVERY RESEARCH
- User journeys to define how Build + Price tool can fit in with the overall optimal online to offline shopping experience.
- Persona user flows that define how each persona may have unique goals.
- Wireframes of navigation, build flow and content.
- Primary JTBD to inform developer user stories.
- High Fidelity Prototypes to begin usability testing on.
3. TEST & LEARN
- Design A: Usability Study on the new Build + Price Prototype, 30 users, remote unmoderated.
- Design B: Usability Study on the new Build + Price Prototype, 30 users, remote unmoderated.
- Statistical significance of Usability Study on changes from Design A + B feedback.
- Usability Study on the revised Build + Price Prototype, 6 users, remote unmoderated.
“It is really an outstanding experience. I really liked the 3-D models, it’s one of the best I’ve seen on a site like this. It felt responsive, cool and genuine."
- Brad, User Testing participant
4. LAUNCH & OPTIMIZE
- Conducted ongoing usability studies once every 3 months.
- NPS rating scales to measure satisfaction ratings.
- Data reporting performed weekly to stay on track of core KPI's.
"I think this is where the future is"
- Carrie, User Testing participant
Since the launch of the Configurator, Nov 29th 2018, Genesis has been receiving rave reviews. Users are most impressed with the 3D graphics, ability to see all angles of the car and how innovative and fun the experience is. The configurator has seen a +198% lift in Starts and a +101% lift in Completes. Additionally, it had a positive impact on Genesis.com overall, with the total site seeing a +44% increase in visits and 17% increase in leads.